Austin Apartments - Apartments in Austin TX
Austin TX Apartments and Bad Credit
Austin TX Apartments: Qualifying for an apartment with bad credit
When you go to apply for an Austin apartment, they will qualify you on several areas.
- One is credit. Every apartment has a different criteria for what they are looking for when they run your credit. Some things the apartments might be checking is debt to income ratio, and credit score.
- The major ones are if you have a foreclosure, bankruptcy, or owe money to a previous apartment complex or landlord.
- If any of the above apply to you, there are still places you can rent, so don't worry. If you have a foreclosure or bankruptcy, there are still Austin TX Apartments that will work with this.
- The most important thing is to be upfront and ask them what their policies are ahead of time. They may require that you establish good rental after the foreclosure. Or may want your bankruptcy to be discharged and a certain number of years old.
- If you owe money to another apartment complex, there are a few things the apartments are going to want to know. How much money do you currently owe to them? If you don't know, you can go to www.annualcreditreport.com to check your credit for free. This is the only real free site that exists, so make sure you go here. They won't ask for a credit card number.
- Do you have at least 6 months of positive rental history after? Certain management companies will require that you have at least 6 months of positive rental history after. This would need to be with a major apartment complex or on a signed lease somewhere.
- It does not count if you live with your friend and just pay them rent on the side. How long ago did it happen? Some Austin TX Apartments will require that it is a certain number of years old. 2 years, 5 years... Also, be prepared to pay an extra deposit upfront. This can be as high as 1 months rent in some Austin TX apartments.